POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : localization of povray? : Re: localization of povray? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:37:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: localization of povray?
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 14 Jan 2002 19:40:42
Message: <3c437a8a@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote in message
> >I don't really know much about the technical side of this. I believe that
> >the translation of the docs would not be a problem technically, but can
the
> >strings of the software itself be brought to a translator-friendly form?
>
> Sure, no problem, just don't distribute this version as it will be a
> violation of POVLEGAL. Now, making a version which *adds* support for
> Hungarian keywords is another thing... but I predict serious troubles
> with non-standard characters which I know Hungarian is full of.

Adding support for Hungarian keywords is the last thing I ever wanted to do,
by localizing the software I only meant translating message texts and the
like and possibly the software elements of the Windows GUI. (Again, only if
this is technically possible without insane amounts of additional work. Like
starting from a text file containing all the strings.)

As for distribution (from POVLEGAL):
"The Software must not be distributed in a form different from the official
distribution without the express, prior, written permission of the
POV-TeamT. "

Surely I wouldn't want to start a project like this if there is no chance of
making the result available to users. How much flexibility can I expect from
the POV-Team in this regard?

If an entirely localized and publicly available version is out of the
question, how about publicly available Hungarian (or other international)
docs?

Cheers,
Gergely